Wednesday, October 22, 2008

my new favorite vegetable

is the romanesco. It's a brasica, very similar to a cauliflower in taste and texture.

fun veg

It looks like fractals, pine cones, mountains. As a kid, I was weird and actually liked veggies, but I would've eaten these just because they're so unusual looking.

Eat them raw with veggie dip, or use them cooked. We made broccoli and romanesco in cream sauce and had it with pasta. For bento, I sauteed halved cocktail weenies (ends cut so they look like flowers) with the romanesco. The flavors work well together.

bento 10.21.08

2 comments:

KP said...

Oh my gosh! They look so good! I havent seen these at the grocery stores in town, I wonder if I would be able to find them at the farmers market. I now have motivation to go to the fm this weekend, thanks masami!

Marie said...

That is one crazy looking veg! I have never seen that before, but I do love cooked cauliflower, so I bet I'd like it. It totally looks like pine cones and very in-the-woods. Thanks for the introduction to the romanesco!