Wednesday, September 17, 2008

bento tools + tips

A run-down of some of my favorite bento tools and their corresponding tips.

Also, with my posts, you can click the photo if you want to see a larger size -- it'll just take you to my flickr page.


1. sauce containers

My mom found this super fun sauce container in Tokyo. I love it! I use it for sauces, dressing, and ketchup.

IMG_1624.JPGsauce containersauce container


I also have ones with animal shaped caps, like this bear and panda.

bento 7.3 detail bento 8.8

The set also came with an elephant and what I think is a cat.

IMG_1265.JPG


2. toothpicks

I also use the plain wooden ones, but the plastic ones are just so cute!

IMG_1269.JPG

Toothpick use ideas:
Keep wrap sandwiches from unraveling
Spear mini pickles
Spear a row of de-shelled edamame to make a caterpillar shape
Alternate cherry tomatoes with little balls of mozzarella and some basil for a Caprese salad on a stick
With the animal-shaped ones, spear rice so it looks like the animals are walking around on top


3. furikake holder

Not just for furikake! You could use them for sugar, sprinkles, mini chocolate chips, salt, pepper, sesame seeds... anything dry and small. Then you can add the perfect amount of salt/furikake/whatever each time.

furikake holderfurikake holderfurikake holder


4. furikake stencils

Again, not just for furikake! It would be cute to use it with confectioner's sugar to add a design to the top of a cake. Or add some artful sprinkles to a container of pudding.

Place the stencil on the rice.

stencils


Then sprinkle the furikake on top and around the stencil. Gently lift the stencil and you're left with a shape!

bento 7.20

bento 8.29


Furikake stencil tips (for using on top of rice):
It works best on warm or hot rice
Flatten the rice so you have an even surface
Lift the stencil gently


5. small containers

Let me clarify: small containers to put inside of bento boxes. It's especially useful when you don't want flavors to mix together. I have small plastic containers in a pie-quarter shape, rounds, and squares. I use them ALL THE TIME.

Keeping the pesto separate from fried chicken.

bento 2.11


Or keeping kimchi from spreading its flavors onto everything else.

bento 4.10.08


Additionally, I own two fun shapes; a flower and a bunny.

rice cups from Mama

Here they are in action!

bento 7.31.08


So, what are your favorite bento tools?

4 comments:

KP said...

I love all of your accessories! your mailbox shaped sauce container is so cute!!
I love using my silicone cupcake liners. But they dont fit into some of my smaller boxes so I have smaller ones from Daiso. We should totally start our own online bento store!! :)

KP said...

O.k., I just looked at your flicker page and everything looks amazing! Where do you get kimchi furikake?!?! Also, I know I sound like a broken record, but any favorite recipes you would like to post on this blog would be appreciated by us all!!! (Especially this Krajee mom)

Unknown said...

That is so educational. I'm so amazed at your talents. I can't wait to start making lunches. I second KP's request for fav recipes.

Par said...

furikake holder, didn't know they got a jar for that!