Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sunday's prep

I spent part of the day getting some prep work done. Time is my enemy in the mornings so I try to get as much done in advance as possible. These little things just make the bentos a little extra pretty.

I got these mini alphabet fondant cutters at Michaels craft store. They are perfect for cutting things like vegetables, cheese, lunch meat, anything to put a little pizzaz in your lunches.

I sliced some carrots.

I used the blunt end of a toothpick to get the carrot out of the cutter.I cut out enough letters to spell out I love you, and both of the kids names. Packed them in a little plastic container in the fridge to use during the week.

I also made some turkey lunchmeat flowers. Just fold a slice in half and make 3/4 inch slices along the fold.

Roll them and secure with a pick at the base.

These are perfect little accents you can tuck into your bentos to make them pretty. You can use this same method for eggs. Just make a really thin sheet of egg and do the same thing.

I just store these in a little plastic container too.
I blanched some broccoli florets in chicken broth.

Cool these off then also put these in a container in the refrigerator. You can also tuck these into your bentos for a little pop of color.

6 comments:

mamichan said...

I like the flowers!

KP said...

Thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

haha! i used the same kind of cutters for tofu! (sliced the tofu into 1/2 inch slices and let the kids do the cut outs. the leftover 'bits' i'll use in soups and fried rice.) =)

KP said...

Angie, what a great idea! i would have never thought of that. Too Cool!

Anonymous said...

if you fry the shaped tofu in some seasame oil and soy sauce, salt and pepper, they refridgerate great! =)

KP said...

I'm going to have to try that!