Saturday, September 6, 2008

How it all started

My kids school lunches cost $3.50 each. So it was costing me $7.00 per day, 5 times a week. Plus, Rick and I ate breakfast, lunch and sometimes even dinner out, because we were always at work. We were spending an average of $40.00 per day on meals just for the two of us. Then there was our Starbucks habit. About $300.00 per month just on coffee.....COFFEE! We figured that we were consuming over $700.00 per month on food and drinks. This is not counting the money that we spent on the weekends, or the once a month classroom snack that I am required to bring for each child. Over $1,000. easy....on food and convenience (not including groceries).

Yes, I have to wake up an hour earlier to make breakfast, lunch, snacks and a light dinner (for Rick). But I am not only saving money. I know that my kids are eating healthy. And I know how much they are eating (I make them bring home anything they dont eat so I can monitor this.) Have you seen the menus at most schools? They consist of chicken nuggets, pizza, corn dogs, canned ravioli and hamburgers. They discourage parents from bringing sugary snack for the classrooms, yet they serve them mostly junk for lunch. Not to mention all of the waste with the plastic and styrofoam containers and wrappers and utensils.

As a mother of picky eaters, bento is also great for encouraging kids to eat a variety of foods. Plain carrot sticks may get the cold shoulder, but carrots shaped like flowers and hearts are special and therefore taste better. Sandwiches that normally get a couple of bites taken out of the middle, then tossed, are now a special treat because they are cut like animals and have no crust. Its amazing how much of an affect visual appeal has on their appetites.

Bento is also great for moms. Portion control is key! No longer do I feel compelled to reach for a bag of chips or cookies. I have my own snack bento full of cut up fruit, whole wheat crackers and a few slices of cheese.

Yes, I have spent quite a bit of money on bento boxes, books and accessories, but it is spare change compared to what we were spending before. And yes, I make my own coffee now too. *sigh* Starbucks, I miss you the most!

3 comments:

rcxc said...

Hi. I'm not a beginner with sushi/onigiri, etc. but I'm a total n00b when it comes to bentos! Look forward to following your creations.

Minjenah said...

LOVE THIS!

Great that you are doing this!

I miss Starbucks too.

Unknown said...

What you said about the cut up carrots and sandwichs brought tears to my eyes. It can be that simple, well not simple for you because you spend so much time and love making them, but it's all about presentation. I have a very picky eater so I'll be one of your loyal followers in this bento world. Thanks again for sharing this.