Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Introduction

Hello! I am excited to be a new contributor to this blog! I am a mother of two children, a four year old daughter and a two year old son. We have been New Englanders for a little over a year now. My daughter started full-time preschool this fall, and thus my adventure into creative bento began. However, I have been waiting years to have a children in which to send my lunch creations with them. ^^ I love the creativity involved, and it makes my daughter happy, even if she still doesn't eat all her lunch some days.

Today's lunch includes rice with blue food coloring, tako (octupus) shaped hot dogs, cheese fish, cucumber seaweed, some acorn squash, a broccoli floret, and some cut up Granny Smith apple.




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ack! i LOVE that you're here!! =P

now for my real question: how do you make the octopi? grill? pan fry? microwave? taser? mine never 'open' up that much . . .

KP said...

Love it!! Love the blue rice and the fishys....so glad you're here:)

Minjenah said...

So cute!

akm said...

Hi Angie! I pan fried the hot dog. I wasn't sure if boiling would produce the same effect because in the recesses of my mind, I seem to recall trying to boil a long time ago. It did not work so well. I might try again, though, to make sure I'm not mistaken as I don't really like frying hot dogs. I'm not really fond of hot dogs at all and wish my children were not either.

KP said...

Angie, AKM, I have tried boiling and it works really well. It really curls up the legs and it draws out some of the salt, which is always nice:)

akm said...

It's good to know boiling works well. I prefer that method of cooking a hot dog over frying.