Thursday, September 24, 2009

Owl Bento

Spam musubi again! But this time instead of cutting them up, I left them whole and decorated them to look like owls. Actually, the original plan was to make them look like penguins, but they morphed into owls instead.

I ran out of Kamaboko so I used cheese instead to make the whites of the eyes and wings. As you can see, they melted and warped a little. Carrot triangles for the beaks. I also packed egg rolls, grapes, tomatoes, carrot sticks and celery.

7 comments:

akm said...

Cute! I am thinking that I will do spam musubi one day next week. Actually, the cheese melting a little gives it a certain effect.

arkonite_babe said...

So cute! I can't get a musubi mould in the Uk, nor can I find anyone who will ship one over :0(

daughter loves spam musubis, so I guess I'll have to keep risking my fingers on the spam can!!

KP said...

arkonite_babe, I think you can find musubi molds on ebay. A lot of those stores will ship anywhere. There is a list of online stores on my sidebar. Maybe one of them will ship to you:)

arkonite_babe said...

I don't have paypal *wah!*

akm said...

I don't use a musubi mold when I make spam musubi. If you happen to have a bamboo mat for rolling sushi, you can use it to shape and compress the rice.

Minjenah said...

THIS IS AWESOME!

arkonite_babe said...

OK, I will try using a bamboo mat to make these!